Host a Drive
If you want to hold a fundraiser or hat drive in September, October or November, register for our Mad Hatter event. Find out more here.
Make sure to REGISTER your event before starting your drive.
You can hold a fundraiser or hat drive anytime during the year. Host a Holiday party for Hats Off For Cancer during the holiday season, or use your birthday to help others, consider hosting a drive during National Volunteer Week in April, there’s always a good time to hold a drive, so check out the information below and start planning your drive!
Here’s a quick guide to get you started:
- If you’re collecting hats, find a place to donate the hats, i.e.: Children’s Hospitals, summer camps, cancer outpatient clinics, American Cancer Society, foundations, RonaldMcDonald houses, etc…
- Target amount of hats needed for drive or a goal amount for fundraiser.
- Get proper permission to hold hat drive or fundraiser, i.e.: please get community service adviser approval, towns-check with town council, civic organizations-executive committee approval, companies-community service representative or boss.
- Download the HOC Drive Kit, Brochure and Media Advisory form to get the word out about your event!
- Organize a committee, pick kick-off date and wrap-up date, make posters and/or flyers to advertise (sample flyer is included in the Hat Drive Kit), call and email local media to announce drive, organize drop off sites, decorate and set-up bins or boxes for donations.
- Make sure to REGISTER your event before starting.
- Continue to check drop off sites and collect hats and donations throughout the drive.
- Hold wrap-up celebration to count the hats and/or donations and enjoy you success. Remember any amount of hats collected is a successful drive!
- Call local media with final hat count and invite them to attend your wrap-up celebration. Local newspapers and news stations like to share community service news with your area.
- Report your final results here.
- Remember all hats MUST be brand new, logo friendly (no smoking logo’s, alcohol logo’s, violent logo’s): hats should be kid-friendly (something kids would enjoy wearing), and not too scratchy or itchy (i.e. no trucker hats or foam hats). Any hats donated that do not fit the Hats Off For Cancer profile should be donated to a local good will charity.
- You can place all new hats in individual cellophane or plastic bags, but it’s not required. Please use tags provided in Hat Drive Kit for each hat. For a nice touch add a message to the tag. You can also leave tags at drop off sites for personalized messages from donors.
Make sure to REGISTER your event before starting your drive!